Today shall be known as the day of Awesomeness.
- Today’s movements
- Hang Power Clean. 3x2 @65% of 1RM
- I started out with the 33# bar, added 10 and was happy. Coach Jaime came over and told me to add weight. I explained to him that I had and pointed to the 10. He says, “no, add real weight”. Well damn. PR’d at 53# Woot!
- Squat Clean & Split Jerk. 7x1@ 90-95% of 1RM
- Worked up to 53# and thought, that was good; good form, awesome and done. Then I thought how proud I was for pushing myself and I went to 73#. It was heavy, 1 was okay and 1 wasn’t pretty. Don’t think I could do more than that. But I PR’d! Woot woot!
Then came the WOD. Pistols and L pull-ups.
I talked to Jaime about my pitiful attempt at an assisted pull-up and we agreed it was best to go with the ring rows. BUT he told me MC (his wife and my CF buddy) had told him what I was trying to do and that we were going to do it. I hadn’t even thought about it before but suggested doubling up on the bands for assitance! What a novel idea! So I’ll try again with a black AND green band this time. I may actually be able to do one!! Then he said we’d work our way down out of the bands. SO FREAKING AWESOME!!
- 5 rounds
- 10 pistols (5 each leg) (modified to hold bar)
- 5 L pull-ups (modified to ring rows)
- Time: 4:39
See “Jesse” at 5:05? Well, he and I bonded at the beginning of class about how we were already ridiculously sweating after just the warm-up. And how we don’t care about being sweaty and gross in workout clothes but be in regular clothes and see a drop of sweat? You feel gross. It’s amazing what you can bond over.
Anywho, I came over to take my pic of the board and he saw my time and was impressed and told me “good job!”. My reaction? Well, it’s easier if you scale it.
Can I please just learn to take a compliment???
Also, one thing I noticed. Jesse has some biceps and nice arms. Yet, he had to scale the L pull-ups and use the band. I was so shocked because I just assumed he wouldn’t have any problems. Goes to show - don’t judge a book by its cover. Those who don’t look strong can be a total BOSS while those who seem like they lift 155 over their head to warm-up can have areas to work on to.
Like I said, a night of awesome. I PR’d. I grew. I met new people. I (re)learned about assumptions. I was encouraged by people who see more in me than I do of myself.